Committee Meeting 15/7/26

Minutes of the meeting of the Painshawfield Estate Committee held at Stocksfield Baptist Church at 18.00hrs on Wednesday 15th July 2026

PresentHelen Rae David Elliott Maryanne Spoor Brian McGurk Neil Chambers Tobias Zimmermann Andrew Gladstone Martin Jowett Jim AllenChair Treasurer  
In attendanceJudy AllenSecretary  

Apologies for absence

Phil Moore, Jen Adams, Dave Pern, Chris Smedley, Jen Adams presented apologies.

Conflict of interest

No conflicts declared at this point.

Minutes of the previous meeting

Approved

Committee members

New potential Committee members Andrew Gladstone, Martin Jowett and Jim Allen introduced themselves to the group and explained why they wanted to join the Committee. Later in the meeting, the Committee unanimously voted these Covenantors onto the Committee as new members.

Maryanne Spoor announced she is not available for the next few months but will continue to help with financial authorisation and digitising of documents.

Secretary report

The Northumberland Local Plan, which outlines the strategy and framework for development throughout Northumberland, has now begun. Planning matters outside of the Painshawfield Estate were discussed such as the potential construction of flats behind the shops and development on the land opposite the school. Action: JA to set up an informal meeting between HR and the Clerk to the Parish Council to inform the Committee.

Following distribution of letters reminding Covenantors of the £60 subscription fee, several emails have been received advising of incorrect addressees. Two new homeowners have requested more information about the Committee and the Committee agreed that the information booklet updated two years ago should be emailed to them. There has also been an email from a homeowner asking for clarity on the work of the Committee. Actions: JA to update master database with new names and send out information booklet to those who have asked. HR to visit homeowner who requires clarity to advise on the work of the Committee.

Several complaints have been received regarding anti-social parking on Painshawfield Road and a beehive which is causing concern. The Committee agreed it has no mandate to resolve issues like this and advised that homeowners should contact the relevant department of Northumberland County Council. JS to advise homeowners whenever required.

Common Land

The change of Trustees for the Common Land is still ongoing, and PM and HR are currently in the process of obtaining agreement and relevant documentation from the existing Trustees. AG advised that he may be able to help with this action as he has potential links to John Potter.

The Foxtail Pine bench is now in place and an information board describing its story is in production. Two native trees will be planted on Sunday 19 July. Once the project is complete a formal media launch event will be organised. Action: JA to confirm with Denise Morphet how the information board is being funded. JA to organise a media launch at the appropriate time in conjunction with Denise Morphet and the Biodiversity Group.

The previous gardener has resigned, and JA has obtained several quotes to deliver the ongoing maintenance of the Common Land. It was agreed that contractor Pro Cut should continue with the ongoing grass cutting and local supplier Josh Maughan should cut the hedges once bird nesting is finished.

Financial report

Treasurer David Elliott presented the financial report:


£8,594 in annual subscriptions has been received to date with more fees expected to come later in the year from existing standing orders. The issuing of fee letters has been effective with seven cheques received and 60 people paying. £448 has been received in planning fees to date. The balance of the litigation fund account is £18,347.

All litigation funds and £14,000 of general funds have been placed in an interest-bearing account paying 1.05% interest. This leaves a current balance circa £3,500.

In terms of costs, these are largely in line with budget for the year although storage costs have reduced since all documents are being stored at the homes of HR, DE and JA prior to digitisation.

The treasurer advised that an additional bank account signatory is required as a contingency and BM volunteered. Action: DE to obtain forms for the Bank and progress.

AGM

Minutes from the recent AGM in June were approved and follow-on actions discussed.

At the AGM, covenantors gave the Committee a mandate to digitise all paper records, with homeowners receiving any documents relating to their home. The digitisation process can now begin and Mr & Mrs Robson from Painshawfield Road have offered to help with this. All legal documentation will be prioritised and the process of sorting through the seven boxes and four filing cabinets of documents to digitise all paper records will take place over the coming months.

Covenantors voted to increase planning fees. There was also a discussion about whether the Committee can insist applicants, who haven’t already, pay the annual subscription fee, as well as planning fees, prior to applications being considered. The Committee discussed both the level of fee increase and whether applicants should be made to pay the annual subscription fee. It was agreed that because the annual fee is voluntary, the Committee cannot insist on payment and therefore the existing process for managing developments should remain. It was also decided that final increased planning fees be agreed and approved at the next AGM.

Due to low turn-out, the timing of next year’s AGM was discussed, and it was agreed that this should be moved to early March, avoiding Easter and school holiday times.

Reports on applications

  1. 0134 – 42, Painshawfield Road – extension. Approved.

New applications

  1. 0135 – 12, Cadehill Road – extension. Assigned to HR and TZ
    1. 0136 – 65 Meadowfield Road – double garage / car port. Assigned to TZ and MS
    1. Pre-application advice re 37, Painshawfield Road. HR has advised proceed to application.
    1. Post-application advice re 28 Meadowfield Road. This application for an extension was previously approved by the Committee last year. The applicants now want to tweak the plans to change one window to a patio door and merge two adjacent windows into one. HR to revisit to see if another application is required.

A.O.B.

It was agreed that any new homeowners moving into the Estate should receive a visit by one of the Committee to welcome them and explain annual fee, the Covenant and how the Committee works etc. Action: Secretary and Committee members to advise of any new homeowners wherever possible.

Date and time of next meeting Wednesday, 9th September 2026 at 19.30pm Stocksfield Baptist